Splicing sensor cables together can be a problem since cables must be completely water proof, otherwise water can corrode the exposed wires, and can also seep into the sensors over time. Until now, there have been few solutions that address both the inner wires, and also the outer jacket.
Each extension cable splice kit consists of 3 butt splice connectors that are crimped onto the inner wires, and a waterproof outer cylindrical shell with 2 cable glands. The outer shell protects the inner splice from water and corrosion.
You will need a tool to crimp the wires. This is not included.Extension Wire Splice Kit includes: sensor wire and sensor wire clamp.
Other Vegetronix Products of Interest
- Soil Moisture Sensors
- AquaPlumb® Water Level Sensors
- Soil Temperature Sensors
- Extension Cable for Vegetronix Sensors.
VG-SPLICE Extension Cable Splice Kit and Ordering Info
Contact us for volume pricing information.
|VG-SPLICE-1||Extension Cable Splice Kit - 1 pack||$2.95||Buy Now|
|VG-SPLICE-3||Extension Cable Splice Kit - 3 pack||$7.95||Buy Now|
InstructionsBefore using the splice butts, make sure that you've opened up the outer enclousure, and placed one side of it, on each cable end.
- Using wire strippers, strip 1/2" (10cm) of the cable jacket from each side of the cable pair.
- Using wire strippers strip 3/16" (5cm) from each of the inner conductors.
- Unscrew and remove one of the cable glands from the cylinder and slide the cylindar onto one of the cables, and the cable gland onto the other, such that when the cable is spliced together the cylindar will and glands will recombine and screw back together as a single assembly. If you fail to do this step you may have to slide the outer cylider over the length of the cable.
- Crimp the splice butts onto the inner wires, so that all 3 wires are connected. You will need a crimping tool.
- Optionally, you can use a heat gun to shrink the insulation on the splice butts.
- Slide the cylinder assembly over the spliced wire segement so that it is competely covered, and then tighten the cable glands so that the cylinder is water tight and can not slide.